Recipe by Chef Chris Grosse, UBC Food Services.
Blueberry Lemon Curd Tart Recipe
YIELD: 12 Tarts or One 9" Pie
One dozen 3” tart shells or one 9” pie shell, fully baked
240g UBC Farm Blueberries
6g mint, finely chopped
20g fruit glaze
150g granulated sugar
25g corn starch
small pinch kosher salt
55g egg yolks (about 4 medium yolks, reserve whites for meringue)
60ml fresh squeezed lemon juice
6g lemon zest
60g egg white (reserved from egg for lemon curd)
60g granulated sugar
- At least 12 hours before you plan to serve the tarts, prepare the lemon curd. Combine sugar, corn starch, salt and water in a pot big enough to contain all ingredients. Cook over medium high heat until thick and clear. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in egg yolks. Stir until completely blended. Return to heat and continue cooking until very thick. Stir in lemon juice and zest. When liquid is completely incorporated, remove from heat. Add butter and stir well. Cover lightly with plastic wrap directly on surface of lemon curd to prevent it from forming a skin. Refrigerate overnight.
- Bake tart shells or pie crust according to package directions. If you have a favourite dough recipe, blind bake until fully cooked in a 325°F oven.
- While tart shells are cooling, prepare the meringue. Whip egg whites in stand mixer with wire whisk attachment until soft peaks begin to form. Slowly add sugar while whisking on medium-high speed until firm, glossy peaks have formed.
- Prepare the fruit glaze - follow directions on packaged glaze or make your own simple syrup by simmering 1 cup of sugar with 1 cup of water. Gently toss blueberries and chopped mint with glaze until evenly coated.
- Once shells are cool, fill ¾ with lemon curd. Distribute blueberry mixture evenly between tarts.
- Top with meringue and brûlée with a torch until evenly browned and caramelized.
Other posts you’ll love!
Over lunch one day in early November, Chef David took over the Square Meal station in Open Kitchen to serve up a delicious vegetarian/vegan menu. Here’s the recipe for the Ultimate Veggie Burger, featuring UBC Farm beets, crispy yams and smashed avocado lime tahini dressing on a soft brioche bun.read more
While most people will get the vitamins and minerals their bodies needs to function well from eating a balanced diet, certain people have specific supplement needs based on their age, life stage, or dietary preferences.read more
Thrive Week Snack Recipe Contest winner Sophie Varabioff shares her recipe for Black Bean Brownies, soon to be available at UBC Food Services locations across campus!read more
Next time you’re looking for simple snack or meal ideas, check out these options at your local market!read more
Hello! My name is Emmy, and I am a first year student at Orchard Commons. Becoming vegan is the most empowering decision I have ever made.read more
Every Wednesday, Square Meal in Open Kitchen serves a Spicy Lentil Dahl that is sure to warm your belly as we transition into colder, rainier days. Luckily for you, you can now enjoy this perfect fall meal in the comforts of your own home because Chef Chris from Open Kitchen has shared the recipe with us!read more