Recipe by Chef Chelsea Ashcroft, UBC Food Services.
Chelsea will demonstrate how to prepare the Autumn Salad with Citrus Vegetables at Meet Your Maker on Wednesday, September 27 from 12pm to 1pm outside the UBC Bookstore.
Chelsea is a Red Seal Chef with more than 10 years experience in the industry. Before starting at UBC, Chelsea finished top of her class in the VCC Culinary Program; cooked for the Canucks, coaches, media and executive box seats at Rogers Arena; and worked as first cook on the Rocky Mountaineer. These days you’ll find her cooking up comfort foods with real ingredients at The Point Grill, trawling through farmer’s markets, and striving to be a positive female role model in the cooking industry. Visit The Point Grill for a taste of her creations.
Autumn Salad with Citrus Dressing
YIELD: 4 Servings
½ butternut squash
1lb brussels sprouts (10–14 pcs)
2 yellow or candy cane beets*
1 granny smith apple
4oz goat cheese
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup dried cranberries
½ lb baby kale
(or any mixed green)
2 tbsp olive oil
pinch of dry thyme
salt and pepper
2 tbsp orange juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp honey
3 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Peel and seed butternut squash, and dice into 1/2” pieces.
- Peel beets and cut into wedges.
- Remove stem from brussels sprouts and cut in half.
- Combine vegetables in a bowl and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Roast vegetables on a parchment- or foil-lined pan for 15 minutes, or until soft. Remove from pan and cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl toss pumpkin seeds with 1 tsp olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Place on a parchment or foil-lined pan and roast 2-3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from pan and cool to room temperature.
- Prepare dressing. Combine all ingredients in a lidded mason jar and shake until emulsified.
- Halve the granny smith apple and remove the core. Slice thinly.
- Toss kale, apples and roasted vegetables with dressing in a large mixing bowl.
- Top with dried cranberries, toasted pumpkin seeds and goat cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!
Other recipes you’ll love!
Over lunch one day in early November, Chef David took over the Square Meal station in Open Kitchen to serve up a delicious vegetarian/vegan menu. Here’s the recipe for the Ultimate Veggie Burger, featuring UBC Farm beets, crispy yams and smashed avocado lime tahini dressing on a soft brioche bun.read more
While most people will get the vitamins and minerals their bodies needs to function well from eating a balanced diet, certain people have specific supplement needs based on their age, life stage, or dietary preferences.read more
Thrive Week Snack Recipe Contest winner Sophie Varabioff shares her recipe for Black Bean Brownies, soon to be available at UBC Food Services locations across campus!read more
Next time you’re looking for simple snack or meal ideas, check out these options at your local market!read more
Hello! My name is Emmy, and I am a first year student at Orchard Commons. Becoming vegan is the most empowering decision I have ever made.read more
Every Wednesday, Square Meal in Open Kitchen serves a Spicy Lentil Dahl that is sure to warm your belly as we transition into colder, rainier days. Luckily for you, you can now enjoy this perfect fall meal in the comforts of your own home because Chef Chris from Open Kitchen has shared the recipe with us!read more